Gold Coast Weather & Climate
The Gold Coast has a sub-tropical climate with plenty of sunshine year-round (in fact an average of 300 days a year).
Summer temperatures range from 19 to 29 degrees Celsius (66 to 83 degrees Fahrenheit).
Winter temperatures range from an average of 9 to 21 degrees Celsius (48 to 69 degrees Fahrenheit) – it’s no wonder the Gold Coast is Australia’s favourite playground.
Historical Rainfall & Temperature Averages
- Average temperatures are in Celcius.
- Rainfall amounts are in millimetres. 25 millimetres is approximately equal to 1 inch.
- A rainy day is counted if rainfall exceeds 0.2mm.
|Celcius to Farenheit Conversion|
|Historical Rainfall & Temperature Averages|
|Gold Coast: Recorded at Southport 1881 – 2001|
|Mean Maximum Temperature||28.5°||28.3°||27.6°||25.9°||23.3°||21.2°||20.6°||21.4°||23.3°||25.2°||26.7°||28.1°|
|Mean Minimum Temperature||20.3°||20.5°||19.2°||16.5°||13.4°||10.6°||9.2°||9.8°||12.1°||15°||17.4°||19.2°|
|Mean Rainy Days||12.7||13.5||15.2||11.5||10.1||7.7||7.1||7||7.4||9||9.9||11.3|
Suitable Clothing, What to Wear
Easy resort wear and lightweight clothing are suitable attire for the Gold Coast’s sub-tropical climate. You may need a jacket or pullover in the evening. If you’re planning on doing any bushwalking through the National Parks, then a sturdy pair of comfortable hiking shoes is a must and if you’re going to be spending a bit of time on the beach, then sun-protective clothing, a broad-brimmed hat, sunglasses and sunscreen will save you from getting too much sun – refer to the section about Gold Coast Sun and Beach Safety for more information.
For more information concerning Gold Coast weather, visit these websites:
- The Bureau of Meteorolgy Weather Site – The most up to date and comprehensive weather site for Australia. Includes forecasts and comprehensive historical climate data.
- Gold Coast Fishing and Tide Information – A guide to fishing on Queensland’s Gold Coast. Includes information aon good places to fish both on the coast and in the hinterland.